Articles Archive for April 2012
English IV »
- “Terza Rima” by Richard Wilbur @Dante Today
- Map of the Inferno by Moser
- Dante’s Inferno Cantos IV-VI Worksheet & Quiz
- “Terza Rima” by Richard Wilbur via Dante Today and Bowdoin College
- Turn in Poetry Connection for Test Grade!
- Discussion & Quiz
- Reading of Inferno … What are the defining elements of the style of The Inferno (we’ll add to this as we go)
- Read Cantos IV-VI for quiz next time
- Review map of the Inferno–write reflection concerning its contents. What isn’t there that you think should? What elements are out of order? 1+ typed page.
English IV »
- Day 2 of Hamlet Test
- When Finished Begin Poetry Connection #11, Dante’s Inferno Cantos I-III or attend Poetry Café
- Poetry Connection #11 (A test grade will result. Make sure to submit past Poetry Connections / Revisions as well)
- Read Dante’s Inferno Cantos I-III and complete worksheet:
- John Ciardi’s translation is comprised of three distinct and helpful parts:
- The italics is a summary of the canto you’ll be reading–it offers the basic information and structure of the section. Reread as needed.
- The terza rima–the actually translation of Dante’s work. The three line structure is called terza rima. Ciardi doesn’t recreate the Italian structure exactly. We’ll discuss this more in class
- Each section ends with Notes–these are often helpful in clarifying names and ideas. If you find yourself lost look here. Since The Inferno is a product of its time many of the references elude us. The notes help with this.
- The first three Cantos set up the purpose of the allegory and give us a glimpse of those who Dante believes don’t even deserve a spot in Hell, the Opportunists.
- Work on the worksheet. We’ll have a very soft quiz in class after discussion on Monday & Tuesday.
AP English IV »
- “Creatures” by Billy Collins @PoetryFoundation.org
- Act IV Quiz
- (White Only) Poetry Café visit — Media
- Red: 5. 1.256
- Poetry Connection 10 & 11 (Another Double Connection–Choose 2 to compare)
- Vocab for Act IV due next week
- Quiz for Act IV–I’ll email answers
- (Red Only) Find a poem for our Poetry Café visit